Monday, January 19, 2009

Monmouth Cap Deconstructed

I was sent a photo of an actual Monmouth Cap from the 1500's. Here is what it looked like:

You'll notice that there is a loop on the back that I believe would have been used to pin your cap to your shirt so that you don't lose your cap when it is taken off one's head (purposely or otherwise).

There is also what looks like a chain on the bottom edge of the cap. While working on imitating the cap, I believe I have figured out what that "chain" was for - to keep the bottom from stretching out too much. Remember, they were not using ribbing for that purpose until probably the late 1800's.

I have been told that there is a button on the top of the original cap. I added one but for the life of me, I can't figure out for what purpose they would add that button. I doubt it was for fashion. Perhaps it was to keep the end of the hat pulled tight. Not sure.

So here is my "deconstructed" Monmouth Cap:

I am totally happy with all I have learned about the original. I am not pleased with the excessive bunching near the top of the cap. I've got to think of how to handle decreasing the stitches in a different way without changing the rest of the cap.

I've got one more day off from work to keep fiddling with it.

No comments: