Monday, March 26, 2007

A Dye Weekend


I did a cochineal dye bath this weekend as well as start an indigo vat and knitted two pair of socks. So, I feel like I got a lot of stuff done. I didn't get my taxes done though despite it being on the top of my to-do-list (I have only a couple of more weeks to get them done). Dyeing and knitting is always better than taxes right?

The cochineal recipe that I used uses 1/3 less bugs than the last recipe that I used. That will certainly save me money. The color turned out just as strong. However, this dye bath was a lipstick red rather than a scarlet as last time. But the color was so beautiful, I didn't want to mess around with it and possibly ruin it.


After dyeing a pound of wool yard, I then put in a pair of socks that I had knitted this weekend as well. The second dye bath turned them a wonderful rose color. I bet I could have dyed a few more articles and they would have come out a wonderful pink. I put a small batch of indigo dyed wool into the second dye bath and it came out a strange mauve color. I say strange only because it didn't dye evenly. I am going to try to sell the rose colored socks on eBay.

No comments: