Friday, March 02, 2007

Hampton Virginia Quilt Show

I went to the Hampton Virginia Quilt Show last weekend. There was so much to see (and buy). My favorite quilt was really a wall hanging - a quilt made to look like a Crayola Crayon box. Very original and very nicely done.



I purchased some linen yarn at the show - bright red - and knit a pair of stockings. I definitely had the wrong weight of yarn. I have never worked with linen before and found that even though a wool of this weight (sport) would have gone through my machine easily, the linen didn't. The biggest problem was the fact that it didn't seem to care how much weight I attached, it just wouldn't hang sufficiently to let the needles work properly. I will definitely do more of these however. The stockings are beautiful and I know will only get softer with each washing. The color is striking and the sheen of the yarn is fabulous. I have ordered a lighter weight linen to try in the future.



The last picture is of the Giant Fern and Ti plant that I brought back from Hawaii. I brought the fern back last trip and it is really taking off. I know it will look terrific once the fronds unfurl. It is already 20" high.

No comments: